School of Smash: Directional Influence

Directional-influence (DI) is a technique that can change the outcome of your "fate". Before your opponent lands an attack, you can input your stick in certain directions so you can change the direction of your launch. DI can help you survive longer, or you can escape combos if you DI correctly.

There are two types of DI: Survival DI, and Combo DI. Survival DI is when you alter the knockback
direction towards the upper corners of the screen, so you would survive when normally you wouldn't. Combo DI is when you DI away from the attacker so your attacker cannot hit you with another attack.

Given that Survival DI involves DI-ing up and in, and Combo DI involves DI-ing up and away, the combo game in Melee comes down to DI mix-ups. Survival DI-ing a weak move can result in getting comboed, while Combo DI-ing a strong move can result in dying at lower percent, therefore bad DI happens all the time, even at high-level Melee.

Smash DI is when you alter your position during the freeze frames of being hit by an attack. Freeze frames occur when your character will freeze for a moment of time. The difference between Smash DI and regular DI is smash DI occurs before you get launched and regular DI occurs while you are being launched.

Comments

  1. I like how your post dove right into explaining what DI means, it's very informative and does a good job of getting straight to the point. I can finally understand what my brother talks about when he tells me about how he plays video games! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't play smash but this post was still relatable and fun to read because I consider myself a gamer. The only times I play smash are with my friends, and then I get destroyed because I am bad, but maybe after reading this post I will be better and can finally crush them once and for all. Thanks for the cool post, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very informative. I like that you thoroughly explained what a DI is and the different types. I have no idea what the game is and all that, but this was well explained. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the information you put into this post. I am definitely more skilled in smash strategy now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

School of Smash: Dash, Dashdancing and Wavedash

Jack and Ten of Diamonds on Fourth and Fifth Street